Despite gloom-and-doom speculation by many about Big Pharma’s R&D pipelines, 2009 has proven to be a successful year for many such corporations. In fact, half of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies profiled in this report were on pace to spend more on research and development in 2009 than in any other year during the history of those companies.
The following information is included for the top 20 pipelines, which were determined based on their healthcare R&D expenditure generated during 2008:
- Each pipeline products’ chemical or substance composition, intended indication, clinical status, region of development, and developer/marketer
- Pipeline status details preclinical development, Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, and awaiting approval
- Region of development includes the U.S., Europe, and Japan
Other company charts detail figures such as company R&D, revenue, and R&D spend as a percentage of net sales for the past two years.
The analysis provides an overview of each company's R&D organization, including
- Corporate R&D philosophy, principles, and goals
- Therapeutic areas of focus
- Listings of R&D centers
– Product to Watch boxes
- Recent R&D news detailing product updates, clinical trials, company partnerships, research and development facilities, etc.