• Kelley Kendle has been named CEO of Synchrogenix Information Strategies Inc. She has been with the company since 2003. Synchrogenix (synchrogenix.com) is a regulatory writing company headquartered in Wilmington, Del.
• Sandy W. Robinson has been appointed executive VP of Nexus Informatics. Before joining Nexus, Robinson was senior VP at Avalere Health where she founded and led the Patient Access Solutions practice and previously was VP in the Reimbursement & Product Commercialization practice. Nexus(nexusinformatics.com) offers patient access expertise and technology solutions.
Sandy W. Robinson
• Tom Olenic has been named chief commercial officer of Advanced Cell Diagnostics. Olenic was general manager of the Sequencing Organization and senior VP of commercial operations of the Forensic Organization at IntegenX Inc. Advanced Cell Diagnostics(acdbio.com) develops cell and tissue-based diagnostic tests for precision medicine.
• David Hastings has been appointed chief financial officer of Unilife Corp. effective Feb. 23, 2015. Hastings reports to Alan Shortall, chairman and CEO. Dennis Pyers, who has been with Unilife since 2010, served as interim CFO until Feb. 23 and remains at the company as senior VP and controller reporting to Hastings. Hastings most recently served as chief financial officer at Incyte Corp. between 2003 and 2014. Unilife(unilife.com) is a leading developer and supplier of injectable drug delivery systems.
• Daniel G. Welch has joined Sofinnova Ventures as an executive partner. Welch was chairman, CEO and president of Intermune Inc. Sofinnova (sofinnova.com) is a life sciences venture capital firm.
• Michael M. Nolan is departing as senior VP and chief financial officer of AMRI. Felicia Ladin joins the company in the same role, effective Feb. 4, 2015. AMRI (amriglobal.com) is a global contract research and manufacturing organization.
• Robert F. Atlas has joined EBG Advisors Inc. as president. He comes to the firm after a period of advising North Carolina’s Secretary of Health and Human Services on Medicaid reform strategies. EBG Advisors (ebgadvisors.com) is a Washington, D.C.-based consultancy for the health care industry.
• Eric Terhaerdt was named senior VP of global development operations at Astellas Pharma Inc. (astellas. us). Terhaerdt spent more than 20 years with AstraZeneca in clinical research, clinical development, clinical quality, strategy and performance, and scientific and technical evaluations.
• Steven Immergut has been appointed as VP and head of communications for Bayer Corp. (bayer.us), a newly created senior position. Immergut spent the last three years in senior roles at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, most recently as acting associate commissioner for External Affairs, where he directed communications and media on a wide range of regulatory and educational activities and issues, enhanced stakeholder relationships, and helped FDA continue to transform its website and blog into meaningful channels of communication.
• Darren J. Carroll was promoted to senior VP of corporate business development at Eli Lilly and Co.(lilly.com). Carroll has served as VP of Corporate Business Development since 2010.
• Manuel Lichtman, M.D., is now president and CEO of Arvinas Inc. (arvinas.com). Dr. Lichtman had been with Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. as senior VP and global program head.
• Seth Elliott is named president and chief operating officer of Immune Therapeutics Inc. (tnibiotech.com). As part of the changes in management, Eugene Youkilis, Ph.D., and Christopher Pearce have stepped down as officers of Immune Therapeutics but will continue to serve as members of the board of directors. Pearce will also continue to serve as a director of Airmed Biopharma Ltd. and senior VP of TNI BioTech International Ltd.
• Scott Pancoast has resigned as president, CEO, and a member of the board of directors at Lpath Inc. (lpath.com). The board of directors appointed biotechnology consultant Michael Lack as the company’s interim CEO while the board conducts a search for a new CEO.
• Gregory L. Weaver has become executive VP and chief financial officer of Oryzon Genomics SA(oryzon.com). He has served as chief financial officer of several public biotech companies in the United States, most recently Fibrocell Science. Enric Rello will remain as Oryzon’s chief financial officer in Spain and will continue as part of the senior management team to support the company’s financial operations in that country.
• Glen Ibbott has been appointed interim chief financial officer of QLT Inc. (qltinc.com). He was VP, finance, for Nordion Inc.
• William A. Hodder has become senior VP, corporate development, of Protagonist Therapeutics Inc. Hodder joins Protagonist (protagonist-inc.com) from his own consulting practice, where he has assisted both private and public biotech companies with fundraising, business development and marketing activities.
• Eric Shaff is named chief financial officer of Seres Health Inc. (sereshealth.com). Previously, Shaff was VP, corporate finance, at Momenta Pharmaceuticals where he helped oversee the company’s financial management including planning, financial control, procurement and investor relations. Michele (Shelley) Trucksis, Ph.D., M.D., is named executive VP and chief medical officer of Seres Health. Before joining Seres, Dr. Trucksis served as executive director of Merck Research Laboratories with responsibility for medical, clinical, and global product development functions and development strategy in antibacterials, antifungals, and cytomegalovirus infections.
• Diala Ezzeddine, Ph.D., was promoted to executive VP and chief business officer of X-Chem Inc. effective Dec. 6, 2014. Dr. Ezzeddine joined X-Chem (x-chemrx.com) in January 2010, shortly after the company was founded, and was appointed chief business officer and a member of its executive management team during January 2011.
• Peter Morsing, Ph.D., has become head of business development art Vaccinogen Inc. (vaccinogeninc.com). Dr. Morsing brings almost 20 years of pharmaceutical as well as business development experience to the Vaccinogen leadership team. Previously, he held roles of increasing responsibility with AstraZeneca, where he most recently served as search and evaluation director.
• Fred Ramsdell, Ph.D., has joined aTyr Pharma as VP, immunology. Before joining aTyr (atyrpharma.com), Dr. Ramsdell helped establish the immunobiology research strategy for both Darwin Molecular and NovoNordisk.
• David W. Pritchard, president and CEO, has retired from KaloBios. The company has named Herb C. Cross, chief financial officer, as interim CEO pending a search for a new CEO.
• Paula Soteropoulos is appointed president and CEO of Akcea Therapeutics. Most recently Soteropoulos was senior VP and general manager, cardiometabolic, rare diseases and strategic alliances, at Moderna Therapeutics, Inc. Akcea is the lipid franchise subsidiary of Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc. (isispharm.com).
• Bin Huang , Ph.D., is now president and CEO of T-Bird Pharma Inc. As CEO, he replaces Robert Gagnon, who has stepped down but will be retained by the company for one year as a consultant. Dr. Huang had served as president and chief operating officer since joining the company last fall. T-Bird Pharma is focused on developing premium quality medical marijuana products.
• Cindy Whitehead is CEO of Sprout Pharmaceuticals. Whitehead co-founded Sprout Pharmaceuticals and previously served as president and chief operating officer. Former CEO Bob Whitehead will become vice chairman of the board of directors and executive director. Sprout (sproutpharma.com) is the owner of flibanserin, a novel, non-hormonal treatment that has shown promise in addressing hypoactive sexual desire disorder, the most common form of female sexual dysfunction.
• David D. Muth was promoted by Catalyst Pharmaceutical Partners Inc. to the newly created position of executive VP, chief commercial officer. He previously served as executive VP, corporate development, of Catalyst. Muth continues to report to Catalyst chairman and CEO Patrick
J. McEnany. In his expanded role, Muth is responsible for all of Catalyst’s commercial operations and corporate development activities. In that role, Muth is working closely with other members of the Catalyst team in developing and executing the company’s strategic plan, including the anticipated commercial launch of Firdapse. Catalyst (catalystpharma.com) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing innovative therapies for people with rare debilitating diseases.
• Sarah Boyce has joined Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc. as chief business officer. Before joining Isis, Boyce was VP, head of international business strategy and operations at Forest Laboratories Inc. Isis(isispharm.com) is exploiting its leadership position in RNAtargeted technology to discover and develop novel drugs for its product pipeline, which has an emphasis on cardiovascular, metabolic, severe and rare diseases, including neurological disorders and cancer.
• Cary J. Claiborne is chief financial officer of Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals Inc., now known as Indivior. Claiborne leads the company’s global financial and information technology operations, reporting to CEOShaun Thaxter. Before joining Indivior, Claiborne was chief financial officer of Sucampo Pharmaceuticals Inc. Indivior (indivior.com) is a specialty pharmaceutical company with decades of heritage in serving the opioid dependence treatment community.
• Jonathon Kellerman has joined Actavis Plc. as executive VP, global chief compliance officer. Kellerman is a member of the Actavis executive leadership team and reports directly to Brent Saunders, CEO and president. Kellerman joined Actavis from PwC, where he was a partner in PwC’s Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Advisory practice. Actavis (actavis.com) is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing high quality affordable generic and innovative branded pharmaceutical products for patients around the world.
• Josh Blacher is named chief financial officer of Galmed Pharmaceuticals Inc. Blacher served as director of business development at Teva Innovative Ventures, Teva Pharmaceuticals’ early- and mid-stage investment and in-licensing arm. Galmed(galmedpharma.com) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of a once-daily, oral therapy for the treatment of liver diseases and cholesterol gallstones.
• Ian A.W. Howes has become chief financial officer of Scioderm Inc. Howes was chief financial officer and VP, corporate development, with Akebia Therapeutics. Scioderm (scioderm.com) is a privately held, clinical stage pharmaceutical company focused on developing innovative therapies to address diseases with critical unmet medical needs, including orphan products.
• Richard A. Baron has become VP and chief financial officer of Zynerba Pharmaceuticals Inc. Baron offers more than 30 years of experience in executive finance leadership for early stage pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. Zynerba (zynerba.com) is a specialty pharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of innovative transdermal synthetic cannabinoid treatments.
• Jeremy S. Caldwell, Ph.D., was made executive VP and chief scientific officer of Ardelyx Inc. Dr. Caldwell was an entrepreneur-in-residence at Third Rock Ventures focusing on the formation and development of life science companies. Ardelyx (ardelyx.com) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative, minimally systemic, small molecule therapeutics that work exclusively in the gastrointestinal tract to treat cardio-renal, gastrointestinal and metabolic diseases.
• Klara A. Dickinson has become senior VP, chief regulatory officer, of Anthera Pharmaceuticals Inc. Dickinson was senior VP of regulatory affairs and compliance at Hyperion Therapeutics Inc. Anthera(anthera.com) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing products to treat serious and life-threatening diseases, including lupus, lupus with glomerulonephritis, IgA nephropathy, and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis.
• Gail Cawkwell, M.D., Ph.D., has been named VP of medical affairs at Purdue Pharma LP. Dr. Cawkwell was VP in the Medicines Development Group at Pfizer Inc. Purdue Pharma (purduepharma.com) is a leader in pain management therapies.
• Oreola Donini, Ph.D., has been appointed chief scientific officer of Soligenix. Dr. Donini previously held the position of VP, Preclinical Research and Development, since joining Soligenix in August 2013. Soligenix (soligenix.com) is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company developing products that address unmet medical needs in the areas of inflammation, oncology and biodefense.
• Warren W. Wasiewski, M.D., F.A.A.P., has joined Neurotrope BioScience Inc. – Neurotrope’s wholly owned operating subsidiary – as its executive VP, development, and chief medical officer. Neurotrope Bioscience (neurotropebioscience.com) licenses, develops, and commercializes various novel therapeutic and diagnostic technologies from the Blanchette Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute (BRNI). Neurotrope’s pipeline, under its license from BRNI, includes the drug candidate bryostatin, for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, and a minimally invasive diagnostic biomarker analysis system which would assess the presence of Alzheimer’s in patients.
• Darin Lippoldt has joined the executive management team of Neurocrine Biosciences as chief legal officer. Lippoldt was executive VP and general counsel of Volcano Corp. Neurocrine (neurocine.com) discovers and develops pharmaceuticals focused on neurological and endocrine based diseases and disorders.
• Alan K. Burnett, M.D., has become the strategic leader for myeloid development at CTI BioPharma. Dr. Burnett most recently served as professor and head of the Department of Haematology in the Institute of Cancer and Genetics at Cardiff University. CTI BioPharma (ctibiopharma.com) is focused on the acquisition, development and commercialization of novel targeted therapies covering a spectrum of blood-related cancers.